Here’s how this Beef Barley Soup went down….
(Jake eats two to three bites of his soup)
Jake: Are there mushrooms in here?
Me: Hmmm… I don’t think so (Turning my head cuz I can’t keep a straight face)
(He eats two to three MORE bites)
Jake: MOM, are you sure there aren’t mushrooms in here?
Me: Yep, I’m pretty sure…
Jake eats a bit more and upon inspecting his bowl of soup declares: Then WHAT is that? (Holding a piece of mushroom on his spoon!!)
Me: Oh my… how did that get in there? (At which I point I can’t control myself any longer and bust up laughing)
Me: You must like them now! You ate half a bowl of soup before realizing they’re even in there… Ha, ha, ha!!
|Beef Barley Soup|
Photo tutorial Beef Barley Soup
|Brown meat, onion, celery|
|Add rest of ingredients through barley|
|Cover and simmer 45 minutes|
|Add milk and tomato paste|
Jake ate the last half of his Beef Barley Soup VERY carefully 🙂 He still really liked it even after his detective work!
AND NOW you know the rest of the story…
Beef Barley Soup...
- 1/2 lb lean ground beef
- 2 large fresh mushrooms sliced (I used portabella)
- 2 celery stalks chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 tsp flour
- 3 cans 14oz beef broth or 3 cups of water and 3 beef bullion cubes
- 2 medium carrots chopped
- 1 large potato chopped
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 C medium pearl barley
- 1 can 5 oz evaporated milk
- 2 Tbls tomato paste
- In a dutch oven or large stock pot over medium heat combine beef, mushrooms, celery, onion. Cook until meat is browned.
- Add and stir until blended flour then gradually add broth.
- Add carrots, potatoes, salt, pepper, barley.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until barley is tender.
- Whisk in evaporated milk and tomato paste