Healthy Cherry Chocolate Oat Cookies are SOoooo good for you and the best part? They don’t even taste like it!
February is National Heart Healthy month and you’ll be glad to know that the oats, cherries, dark chocolate in these cookies are all super foods for our hearts! Check out this slideshow on Web MD it gives a run down of 24 foods that can save your heart.
Did you know that women have different signs of heart attack than men? Men experience a severe pain in the chest and numbness or pain down the left arm…
The most common heart attack symptom in women is some type of pain, pressure or discomfort in the chest. But it’s not always severe or even the most prominent symptom, particularly in women. Women are more likely than men to have heart attack symptoms unrelated to chest pain, such as:
- Neck, shoulder, upper back or abdominal discomfort
- Shortness of breath
- Nausea or vomiting
- Lightheadedness or dizziness
- Unusual fatigue
These cookies are made with Coconut Oil and Coconut Sugar- both of which are so much better for us than their typical counterpart.
Coconut Oil helps control blood sugar, lowers cholesterol, boosts immunity, aids digestion, nourishes the brain, and boosts energy just to name a few of the awesome things about it! Oh yah… it tastes great too. I actually use it on my whole wheat toast in the mornings and I love it.
Coconut Sugar is a healthier way to sweeten baked goods, it’s derived from the flowers of coconut trees. Pretty cool!
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon applesauce, room temperature
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 5 oz package dried cherries
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Coat half sheet pan with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flours, oats, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- In a separate bowl combine applesauce, egg, coconut oil, vanilla; whisk to combine.
- Add flour mixture to wet and mix until 80% incorportated.
- Add cherries and chocolate chips; fold in.
- Drop dough by tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart onto prepared baking sheet.
- Bake 10-12 minutes.
- Cool on pan for 1 minute.
- Remove cookies to cool completely on cooling racks.
I’ll never admit to you how many of these I actually ate myself (the number is a little astounding) but, I know you’ll love them as much we do (or I do- since I’ve squirreled them all away). Yummmmm.
Much Love and Peace~