Breast Cancer Awareness and Coconut Macaroons are the subjects of today’s post. Second to Skin Cancer, Breast Cancer is the next leading cancer among women… 1 in 8 women will develop Breast Cancer in our lifetime!! Some factors can’t be helped like gender, ethnicity, and genetic history of families. Some factors, however, we CAN control like being over weight, excessive use of alcohol, and lack of exercise. We have better odds of not getting Breast Cancer if we are leading a healthy lifestyle! I know I’ve got all three of the “can’t be helped factors” so I try my best to lead a balanced and healthy lifestyle to reduce the odds of developing Breast Cancer and enjoy a good quality of life.
Here’s a healthy and sweet treat to wrap up Breast Cancer Awareness month! These Coconut Macaroons are a classic cookie made with the Earth Balance Coconut Spread. I really like that coconut spread, it’s great on toast or bagels too…. I’ve used it a ton since discovering it at the health food store a few weeks ago!! Coconut’s medium-chain fatty acids burn 3 times more calories than the long chain fatty-acids in other foods! It’s also loaded with Omega-6, magnesium, iron, phosphorus and potassium.
** This recipe is from the Earth Balance Cooking with Coconut recipe booklet. Replace the flour with coconut flour for a gluten-free treat!
|Combine coconut milk, spread, raw sugar, salt over medium heat til sugar is melted|
|Add shredded coconut, flour, vanilla|
|Stir until incorporated|
|Drop by Tablespoonfuls onto parchment lined pan|
|Cook 12-15 minutes or until golden brown|
If you’re a fan of coconut then you’ll love these healthy Coconut Macaroons 🙂
- 1 1/2 C light coconut milk
- 2/3 C raw cane sugar
- 2 Tbsp Earth Balance Coconut Spread
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 3 C shredded sweetened coconut
- 1/2 C all purpose flour
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Heat coconut milk, sugar, Earth Balance Coconut Spread and salt in a sauce pan over medium heat until the sugar dissolves.
- Remove from heat and stir in coconut, flour, and vanilla extract.
- Drop by Tablespoonfuls onto the parchment paper baking sheet.
- Bake 12-15 minutes until golden brown.