German Celery Root and Apple Salad with Dill Mustard, also known as celery remoulade combines celery root, green or red apple, and a mayonnaise dijon dressing. Celery root looks like a giant turnip, but tastes more like a cross between celery and jicama. This salad tastes like coleslaw but without cabbage. I think you’ll enjoy it as much as we did and we are excited to share highlights from our recent trip to Hamburg, Germany! We love sharing recipes and highlights of international travels – you can enjoy many more recipes in our Culinary Journey Around the World!
Miss Madeliene and I had a wonderful visit to Hamburg, Germany last month and we are SO excited to share it with you plus this tasty traditional German recipe!
Come to Hamburg Program
Madeliene and I were hosted during our stay in Hamburg, Germany by the “Come to Hamburg” program. We had an amazing time exploring and experiencing this beautiful city. While we were there we had a delightful tour of Hobenköök with owner, Thomas Sample, followed by a mouth-watering lunch! We asked Thomas, “how long have you been open?” His answer shocked us as he said, “3 months!” We were both like, “WHAT?!!?!” Seriously that place was beautiful, put together, and hoppin’! I thought that it had been opened for years.
Hobenköök Restaurant and Market
We loved the vintage feel, new concept of combining a local & fresh market, and new creations every day in the restaurant. Madi enjoyed the Pork Remoulade while I savored my Beet Risotto. Hobenköök is a must to visit while in Hamburg! It was soooo cool to see the chef’s walk a few steps into the market area and grab whatever fresh produce they needed for the meal that they were making and then walk back in and continue cooking!
German Celery Root and Apple Salad with Dill Mustard Dressing
German Celery Root and Apple Salad with Dill Mustard Dressing is a wonderful winter salad and you may also enjoy these delightfully German recipes. . .
The Better Burger Company
While there we ate the Better Burger Company~ organic, fresh, and made to order! We loved them and the original Fry Sauces were simply divine. . . Mango, Chipotle, Dijon Mustard, and Original. It was hard to decide on a favorite after trying them all… I would say the Mango scored pretty high on both of our lists. 🙂
German Celery Root and Apple Salad with Dill Mustard Dressing will be a winter favorite!
We love to hear about your magical cooking moments. . . if you get a chance to make this recipe leave us a comment or tag us on Instagram @cookingwithruthie so we can share the joy of cooking with you!
One more thing before you go!. . . be inspired with CWR Recipe, Travel, and a variety of Etceteras every week by signing up to receive our emails! Click here to subscribe. We send out our newest posts, a collection of our latest favorites, and more! We love to stay connected with you.
Ruthie & Madeliene
- 2 celery root bulbs, peeled and julienned
- 2 medium tart apple, peeled and julienned
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- ⅓ cup homemade mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, fresh squeezed
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, snipped pluches
- 1 tablespoon parsley, minced
- Blanch celery root in salted boiling water for 3 minutes, drain in colander for 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a large non-metallic bowl and add the apples, toss to combine.
- In a small mixing bowl whisk all of the remaining ingredients, drizzle over salad and toss.
- Place in fridge for 2-3 hours.
- To serve add salt and pepper to taste and garnish with fresh dill and a slice of green apple.
- Creamy Mango Margarita Recipe
- Yucatán Shrimp Ceviche Recipe
- Irish Corned Beef with Cabbage Recipe
- Crema Catalan
- Chinese Pickled Vegetables Recipe
- Irish Coffee with Baileys and Kahlua Recipe
- Irish Soda Farls Recipe
- Irish Creme de Menthe Cocktail Recipe
- Danish Butter Cookies Recipe
- French Crème Fraîche Recipe
- French Pâte à Crêpes Recipe
- Disney's Mini Mac-and-Cheese