German Spargel Reis Suppe is a classic German recipe that’s simple to make and tastes SO good!
We are back on track with our Culinary Journey Around the World posts… we are still in Germany! We ended up taking a little break on our Culinary Journey but not too long ago we made some German Homemade Sauerkraut and today we’re German Spargel Reis Suppe or Asparagus and Rice Soup!
German Spargel Reis Suppe or Asparagus and Rice Soup is packed with mouth-watering ingredients! Asparagus is always a favorite in the early spring plus I just love fresh tarragon. You’ll love how simple this soup is to make and honestly, it’s filling enough to be a meal.
I’m excited to take a look some of the sites in Germany over the next couple of weeks! Germany is a Western European country with a landscape of forests, rivers, mountain ranges and North Sea beaches. It has over 2 millennia of history. Berlin, its capital, is home to art and nightlife scenes, the Brandenburg Gate and many sites relating to WWII. Munich is known for its Oktoberfest and beer halls, including the 16th-century Hofbräuhaus. Frankfurt, with its skyscrapers, houses the European Central Bank.
I love all the castles, I thought it’d be fun to take a tour of some of them today. . .
One of Europe’s most famous landmarks, the romantic ruins of Heidelberg Castle have been attracting visitors since the 19th century. It is the paradox of seeing something so magnificent in a state of such beautiful ruin that gives Heidelberg Castle and its park such a captivating aura. The epitome of German romanticism, it’s like something from another world. Even the majestic ruins, overgrown with ivy, still reflect the power and magnificence of the castle’s former residents, the Wittelsbach dynasty. Built as a fortress with towers, casemates and moats in around 1300, this castle perched high above the town developed over four hundred years into a symbol of the feudal power of the Palatinate Electors of the time.
Neuschwanstein Castle – Germany’s fairytale castle. Neuschwanstein is known all over the world as a symbol of idealised romantic architecture and for the tragic story of its owner. After losing sovereignty in his own kingdom, Ludwig II withdrew into his own world of myths, legend and fairytales.
Eltz Castle is one of the few castles in Europe that has remained in the hands of the same family since it was built almost 900 years ago. Let yourself be enchanted by these ancient halls with their exquisite historical furnishings and family atmosphere, as you learn about life in days of old. Eltz Castle also offers relaxed and friendly restaurants, beautiful walking trails all around and a world-class treasury.
German Spargel Reis Suppe is a wonderful soup that’s great for this time of year!
Have a wonderful Wednesday!
Much Love and Peace~
- 3 cups water
- 2 pounds asparagus
- sea salt
- 3/4 cup long grain rice
- 1 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon tarragon, minced
- 2 tablespoon parsley, minced
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- Wash and trim asparagus; reserve both (trim the bottom 2 inches of tough stalk)
- In a stock pot bring 3 cups of water to boil, boil the trimmings and the stalks for 3-4 minutes until tender but firm, strain and reserve cooking water.
- Bring 1 3/4 cup water to boil, add rice, salt, and butter in stock pot.
- Cook 15-20 minutes until rice is tender.
- Discard asparagus trimmings, cut stalks into 2 inch sections cutting on the diagonal.
- Add cut asparagus, reserved asparagus water, chicken stock, lemon juice, tarragon, parsley,
- Heat to warm through, adjust seasonings with salt and pepper.
- Serve warm.
- For more information check out Germany Travels
- Sourdough Pumpkin Bread Recipe
- Cinnamon Raisin Kugel Recipe
- Crema Catalan
- Chinese Pickled Vegetables Recipe
- Irish Soda Farls Recipe
- Danish Butter Cookies Recipe
- Pear, Blackberry, and Ricotta Spinach Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette
- Rosemary Hasselback Potatoes
- Tomato Basil Soup Recipe
- Disney's Mini Mac-and-Cheese
- Lasagna Soup Recipe
- Pineapple Italian Ice Recipe