I’m in love with this adorable Wood Sign Tutorial that the lovely Dru of Polkadot Poplars has brought to share with us today!
Have fun as she teaches us how to make it…
Hello Friends! Are you in love with the popular vintage wood signs like I am? I would love a very old one, but they are expensive. Even the new ones are a little out of my price range. So, what’s a girl to do? Figure out how to make one herself! Here’s what I did:
Wood Sign Supply List
- 1″x8″ Board cut 3 1/2 feet long (Choose the size of board that works best for you.)
- Large Alphabet Stickers (I found mine at Hobby Lobby.)
- Off White and Black Paint (acrylic, chalk, or house paint)
- Sponge Brush
- Sand Paper
- Light Stain (optional)
Wood Sign Instructions
- Decide what word you would like to have on the board. You could also make this sign vertical.
- Paint your board black and let dry.
- Cut the alphabet stickers out and arrange them on your board.
- Attach the stickers to the board. Work quickly because the stickers will gradually lift up.
- Lightly apply the white paint over the stickers. The trick here to keep paint from going under the stickers is to not put too much paint on your brush.
- Paint the remainder of the board white, including the sides. You will probably need to apply a second coat because of the black background. Let dry really well.
- Remove the stickers.
- Sand the whole board. I like the rustic look so I sanded around the edges and over the letters pretty heavily.
- Using a damp rag go over your board with a light stain. It’s important to cover the sides, too. Let dry.
- I added saw tooth hangers to the back of the sign.
I’m super happy with how it turned out. I’m thinking about other signs to make now. Please tell us what word would you put on your board?
Here’s some other posts you might like.
- Apple Pie Ice Cream Recipe
- Coconut Mango Sweet Rice Recipe
- Easy Lemon Sorbet Recipe
- Peach Upside-Down Cake Recipe
- Easter Egg Hunt Ideas
- Poached Eggs
- Healthy Banana Muffins Recipe
- Thick and Chunky Chili with Sirloin Recipe
- Rosemary & Pine Nut Biscotti
- How to STOP Mosquito Bite Itches
- Cotton Candy Popcorn Recipe
- Thee BEST Pumpkin Cookies Recipe