Okay. I gotta admit, when I made Gram’s English Toffee Video and went to link up the recipe post from a couple of years ago~ I was a little embarrassed by the photo.
Seriously. It’s creepy y’all, it totally looks something that jumped out of the ‘How the Grinch Stole Christmas’ movie. (click here if you’d like to see)
I just had to have another take on it… we love this recipe SO much!
Gram’s English Toffee take 2
- 1 lb real butter
- 3/4 C water
- 2 1/2 C sugar
- 1/4 C Karo syrup
- 2/3 C finely ground nuts, we use walnuts, divided
- 1- 8 oz Hersey Chocolate bar, finely shred 1/2 of it
- On an un-sprayed cookie sheet, spread 1/3 C ground nuts and finely shredded chocolate. (sprinkle evenly)
- In a heavy 4 quart pan on medium heat melt butter, add sugar, water, karo.
- Insert candy thermometer and turn up the heat to medium high cook to 300 degrees, hard crack (280 for high elevations).
- Stirring constantly with a wooden spoon.
- Pour quickly onto cookie sheet.
- Separate remaining chocolate into squares and set on toffee, when starts to melt push chocolate around with a knife until completely melted, spread evenly over toffee.
- Top with remaining nuts.
- Cool for 2 hours in a cool place.
- Break into pieces and serve.
AND here’s the video to give a few hands on tips for making this fabulous toffee recipe…
Thank you so much for coming to visit with me… I love having you! I hope your Holidays are very merry and may all your baking be sweet 🙂
Much Love and Peace~