Gram’s English Toffee
I LOVE Christmas and especially Christmas Baking, it’s the one time a year that I make my Grandma Louise’s Christmas Candy. As most of you all know my Gram had a cooking show in the 60’s and she’s the inspiration for my blog… baking her candy recipes always reminds me of so many wonderful childhood Christmas memories!
Gram's English Toffee
- Gram's English Toffee
- 1 lb real butter
- 3/4 C water
- 2 1/2 C sugar
- 1/4 C Karo syrup
- 2/3 C finely ground nuts we use walnuts, divided
- 1- 8 oz Hersey Chocolate bar finely shred 1/2 of it
- On an un-sprayed cookie sheet, spread 1/3 C ground nuts and finely shredded chocolate. (sprinkle evenly)
- In a heavy 4 quart pan on medium heat melt butter, add sugar, water, karo.
- Insert candy thermometer and turn up the heat to medium high cook to 300 degrees, hard crack (280 for high elevations).
- Stirring constantly with a wooden spoon.
- Pour quickly onto cookie sheet.
- Separate remaining chocolate into squares and set on toffee, when starts to melt push chocolate around with a knife until completely melted, spread evenly over toffee.
- Top with remaining nuts.
- Cool for 2 hours in a cool place.
- Break into pieces and serve.
You may also enjoy Gram’s Christmas Karamels or her fabulous Christmas Fudge (the old fashioned kind, no microwaving here). My Gram passed away of Breast Cancer in 1996 and I love these recipes because I’m reminded of our Christmas Baking together. I hope you enjoy these candy recipes this Holiday Season, they’re a tradition around our house… we look forward to the Holidays rolling around every year JUST to have Gram’s candies again!
Gram’s English Toffee is definitely a Holiday tradition that you’ll want to get started at your house too 🙂
I hope your Holidays are Merry and overflowing with the aroma of Christmas Baking. Happy Friday!!