Caramel Apples and I go waaayyy back… I’ve been quiet smitten with them for most of my life, actually!
I remember as a kiddo helping my mom unwrap what felt like millions of caramels to deliciously-gooily dip our apples into. Waiting for them to set up was painful! But, then taking that first chewy, crunchy, juice-running-down-my-face bite. Ahhhh… autumn.
Now a days we get all gourmet with our caramel apple making, Candied Choffy Caramel Apples is a caramel apple +10 on the WOW factor scale 🙂
You’re going to be in heaven with those little bits of caramelized Choffy bits~ deliciousness! AND just for fun maybe try using tree twigs in place of popsicle sticks to bring a little extra autumn feel.
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 6 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 C Ivory Choffy, not brewed
- 2 Tbsp evaporated milk
- 6 fuji or honeycrisp apples
- 1 11oz pkg kraft caramel bits
- 1 C milk chocolate chips
- 1 tsp canola oil
- 2 pieces parchment paper
- 6 wooden popsicle sticks or twigs
- Candied Choffy:
- Melt butter in a small sauce pan over medium heat.
- Add brown sugar and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add milk and stir until creamy, add choffy and stir to coat. (will be crumbly)
- Pour out onto parchment paper and spread to cool.
- Stir often while cooling to keep pieces separated.
- Once cool crumble with fingers if needed.
- Caramel Apples:
- Wash and dry apples throughly and inserting wooden popsicle or twig into the center of each apple, place on parchment paper.
- Pour chocolate chips and oil in microwave safe bowl (I used a ceramic cereal bowl), microwave 30 seconds and stir well, microwave 15 seconds more, stirring until smooth.
- Repeat, if necessary, until smooth.
- Dip each apple in chocolate- tipping the bowl and pressing apple against sides to cover approximately 3/4 way up the apple.
- Set on parchment paper to set and cool.
- When chocolate is set up and hardened, prepare caramel for dipping.
- Melt Caramel bites according to package directions.
- Pour caramel into a small narrow bowl (I used a cereal bowl) very quickly dip each apple into caramel- tipping the bowl and pressing apple against sides to cover approximately 1/2 way up the apple.
- Work quickly to avoid melting too much of the chocolate layer on the apple.
- Press bottom of apple into the Candies Choffy and place back on parchment paper to set and cool.
- Eat once cooled and set up.
I discovered those beautiful little nothing-to-unwrap Kraft’s Caramel Bits a few years ago which makes it’s that much easier to easy whip up a batch of caramel apples!
Oh and did you catch the big announcement a couple weeks ago? Check it out in my Choffy Chocolate Biscotti post. I’m having so much fun inventing recipes with Choffy. In celebration of becoming the official Choffy Chef, Choffy’s extending 10% off your first purchase made on-line through Dec 31, 2014 just click here and use the order code: RUTHIE10
I’m so crushing on Choffy these days. It’s fabulous!!
Much Love and Peace~ Ruthie