At the end of almost every day, I have a little “Ruthie” time and sit for just long enough to enjoy a cup of tea AND today Carrot Cake Scones! But most of the time a piece of dark chocolate!! Mmmm… I’m a dark choc-o-holic to the core : )
I think I’m a much happier lady if I take a little bit of time every day to decompress and a cup of tea does that for me. In a perfect world where there’s NO stress, I’m sure it wouldn’t be necessary! But, in the world according to Ruthie… that’s just not the case. STUFF happens to all of us, no matter who we are… in one way or another we all go through lotsa “Stuff”!
I’ve felt devastation in my life and I’ve known joy but because I’ve known the bitter… I enjoy the sweet SO much more! I believe in Karma (and, I try to stay on her good side!) I’m just a normal chic… I buy my make-up at Wal-mart (gasp!) I work out every morning with my husband… way too early, BTW!! I live on a budget, I color my hair (AND yes, that means I have grey or shimmer hairs as I prefer to call them!), I do dishes, and clean my own house, and believe in Saturday jobs for kids! (after all, I had to do them too : ) I’m a chauffeur, a nurse, a counselor, a teacher, an accountant, a chef, a maid, a friend, a secretary AND on AND on! (oh yah! I even recycle)
But, most importantly I’m a MOM! AND I love that role the most… we have 5 amazing kids!! Each one of them so completely unique, they amaze me! Each one of them have strengths and weaknesses and so much potential! I never thought that almost 18 years ago when I held my first baby girl in my arms… that becoming a mother would be the hardest and most amazing journey I’d ever embark on. What an honor it is to be called MOM! (even if it’s a million times a day!)
So, on the days that have been a little closer to the devastating side of life (or hectic, or crazy, or I can’t be super woman) … enjoy a cup of tea! AND let all those worry’s melt away! (for a few minutes anyway!)
Here’s a list of my Top 5 favorite Teas, I use a teaspoon of agave to sweeten my tea :
Ruthie’s Top Five Favorite Teas
1. Bengal Tiger Tea by Celestial Seasonings
2. Fireside Chai Tea by Zhena’s Gypsy
3. Comforting Tea by AVEDA (this tea doesn’t need sweetener)
4. Organic Chamomile Herbal Tea by Trader Joe’s
5. Candy Cane Lane by Celestial Seasonings
* I was looking around for a healthier scones recipe to make and I found this Wholesome Carrot Cake Scones on The Teenage Taste.com… I adapted it a bit but Mmmm! They’re really good and pretty darn healthy for you!
I think I’ve eaten my weight in these Carrot Cake Scones this weekend : ) AND I’m still not sick of them… in fact, I’m headed to the kitchen to grab another in just a second!!
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup bran
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons raw sugar for topping
- 2 ½ cups shredded carrot
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- ¼ cup raisins
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 6 ounces neufchatel cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup agave [maple syrup or honey could also be substituted!]
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Place all dry ingredients except walnuts, raisins, and cranberries in a large mixing bowl. Stir with a wooden spoon until everything is evenly mixed.
- Cut cream cheese into the dry ingredient mixture, using a fork, until the mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- Stir in the carrots, raisins, cranberries, walnuts, egg, oil, and agave until a soft dough forms.
- Drop ~¼ cup mounds of scone batter onto a greased baking sheet, leaving an inch or two between each mound.
- Sprinkle each mound with sugar and bake for 18-22 minutes or until edges just begin to brown.
- Remove from baking sheet.
- Let cool.