Black Bean and Sweet Corn Tostadas are a fresh south of the boarder dinner or appetizer!
Our Culinary Journey Around the World is heading over to Mexico for a little visit because Cinco de Mayo is going to be here soon and even though they don’t actually celebrate it in Mexico it’s a great time of year to share the beauty of this country and some fabulous recipes too!
Mexican Cuisine is one of the most loved in the world. . . the traditional Mexican flavors combine savory and earthy flavors with condiments and spicy salsas served on the side for seasoning or textural contrast.
Mexican cooking doesn’t call for a wide variety of exotic ingredients- common fruits and vegetables, easy to find cuts of meats, and few seeds and spices is all you’ll really need. But, do underestimate the skills of the Mexican kitchen- the transformation of these ingredients is always magic.
Black Bean and Sweet Corn Tostadas combines several of the Mexican kitchen staples of cilantro, jalapeno, red onion, red pepper flakes, and then of course black beans and sweet corn. . . on top of a bed of shredded green cabbage and then add the crispy crunch of the tostada! Arrrriba!!
A little over a year ago I went with my daughter, Madi, for a visit to central Mexico for a couple of weeks to see and tour some cities and villages there. We had a wonderful time and it was a really awesome experience being apart of the culture in some of the many aspects of life there.
The pictures above are of me and the kind woman who taught me to make corn tortillas. . . it’s not as easy as you’d think. She makes them daily to sell from this store/kitchen in the front of their home.
Today, I thought we’d look at some of the different types of foods we enjoyed while we were in Mexico . . .
The photos above are from a restaurant where we enjoyed pozole soup and tostadas in the larger city of Puebla, Mexico.
Of course, you simply can’t go to Mexico without enjoying some of the infamous street corn!
The photo’s above are of a day trip we took a live volcano and we had a cook out of pork tacos and toasted pumpkin seeds! I’ll share more pictures of the trip next week! 🙂
Black Bean and Sweet Corn Tostadas are a festive appetizer for your next fiesta!
Have a fabulous Wednesday!
Much Love and Peace~
- 1 cup canned black beans, drained
- 1 cup canned sweet corn, drained
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2-3 tablespoons red onion, small diced
- 1 teaspoon jalapeno, minced
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 cups thinly shredded green cabbage
- 8 corn tostadas, pre-made
- 1/4 cup light sour cream
- cilantro to garnish
- 1 cup salsa to serve
- Black Bean and Corn Mixture:
- In a mixing bowl combine black beans, corn, lime juice, red onion, jalapeno, cilantro, chili powder, and sea salt; mix to combine and set aside.
- To assemble:
- Place tostadas on serving plates, divide cabbage on each, top with black bean and corn mixture, a dollop of sour cream, and cilantro to garnish.
- Serve with salsa of choice.
- Irish Cream Bundt Cake Recipe
- French Tarte Au Citron Recipe
- Cinnamon Raisin Kugel Recipe
- Horiatiki Greek Village Salad & Acropolis of Athens
- Yiaourti Me Meli & Evia Island, Greece
- 10 Healthy Travel Tips & Cheerios Snack Mix Recipe
- French Endive Salad & Louvre Museum
- Chinese Honey Garlic Chicken Recipe