Fennel Sausage Stuffing is made with rosemary bread, fennel, chicken sausage, and splash of white wine it’s a beautiful spin on the classic stuffing dish!
Every year as the holidays approach, I always like to find delicious new spins on classic holiday recipes because sometimes it’s just fun to mix it up a little bit. I really like that this recipe uses chicken sausage which also keeps it a little on the healthier side!
Fennel Sausage Stuffing
- 16 ounce rosemary bread cubed into 1/2 inch pieces
- 7 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil divided
- 4 tablespoons butter divided
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
- 2 cups chopped fresh fennel bulb
- 1/2 cup sliced shallots
- 1 1/2 cup cooked ground chicken sausage
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon peel
- 1 cup or more low-salt chicken broth
- 2 large eggs beaten
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large bowl; toss bread crumbs in 3 tablespoon olive oil and 2 tablespoons melted butter.
- Spread mixture on large rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake until bread cubes are golden, stirring occasionally; approx 20 to 22 minutes.
- Stir fennel seeds in small dry skillet over medium heat until fragrant and slightly darker; approx 2 to 3 minutes.
- Transfer fennel seeds to a plate to cool.
- Heat 2 tablespoons butter with 3 tablespoons oil in large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add chopped fennel bulb, shallots, coarse salt, and pepper; sauté until fennel is tender and shallots are pale golden; approx 7 minutes.
- Stir fennel seeds, sausage, lemon peel, and white wine into the fennel mixture.
- Coat 13x9x2- Inch glass baking dish with 1 tablespoon oil.
- Toss bread cubes and fennel mixture in a large bowl.
- Add 1 cup broth and eggs; toss until moistened adding up to another 1/4 cup of broth if dry.
- Transfer stuffing to prepared baking dish cover with foil coated lightly with oil, oiled side down.
- Bake until stuffing is heated through; approx 30-40 minutes.
- Serve warm.
Fennel Sausage Stuffing is a nice new twist on the classic side dish, it’ll make your holiday feasting that much more delighful!
Much Love and Peace~