Happy Fit Friday!!
Nichole from Pure Clean Fitness comes to hang out with us on Fridays! This week Nichole has Holiday Fitness Tips for us ~ A healthy recipe from me and Fitness Tips from her keep us healthy and happy all winter long.
Nichole’s Fitness Tips…
It is December and it is COLD! How do I combat the cold, by working out of course! Nothing like getting in a great workout to warm you up from the inside out. Today’s fit tips include a great workout for that core, along with a few tips to help get that core that I know you all want.
Let’s start with the tips:
1) NUTRITION: it does not matter how awesome your abs are, if you are eating crappy you will have a layer of fat covering those abs. Nutrition is vital!
2) POWER MOVES: don’t just focus on your abs. Do movements and exercises that force you to engage your core. I love Olympic lifts for this vary reason, my ENTIRE body get a good workout when I properly do cleans, snatches, back squats, etc.
3) BREATHE AND FOCUS: when completing any exercises focus on your body. Set the muscles up so that they are engaged and ready to go, and then focus on using all of those muscles. Along with that, don’t forget to breathe. It seems silly to say, but I am often reminding my classes and clients to breathe.
4) MIX IT UP: your body gets use to whatever you are doing. If your goal is to hold a plank for 3 minutes. So everyday you do planks and watch the clock. If you stay focused and work on it you will get to a point when you can hold a plank for 3 minutes, but by that point in time your body is not reaping all of the benefits it once did from planks. Your body is now used to it and will find the easiest path to complete the exercise.
Now the workout. After all of the above reading you know that these next movements are not the end all be all for awesome abs. These ab exercises are not the end-all-be-all, instead add these to your arsenal.
1) Hanging knee raises (15, 12, 10, 8)
2) V-Ups (15, 12, 10, 8)
3) Star Burst Situps (15, 12, 10, 8)
4) Russian Twists with Medicine Ball (15, 12, 10, 8)
5) Straight Leg Sit Ups with Medicine Ball (15, 12, 10, 8)
Have fun with ’em!
Ruthie’s Healthy Recipe…
Roasted Rosemary Sweet Potato with Cranberry Chevre~ if you love sweet potatoes, rosemary, and chevre goat cheese like I do then this recipe is perfect for you and it’s a simple side dish that goes along beautifully with any protein!
I adore chevre goat cheese~ it’s creamy and for the most part more mild than the crumbled goat cheese varieties. But, take it up a notch at the holidays with Cranberry Chevre… it’ll blow your mind!
Wow. Truly amazing!! It’s a seasonal item, I’ve found at it Trader Joes, Costco, or a nicer cheese counters in some grocery stores have it during the holidays. You could also duplicate the flavor by using plain chevre and garnishing with dried cranberries, if you’re unable to find the the original.
- 3 cups sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 3-4 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 ounces cranberry chevre goat cheese, I buy mine at trader joes
- Preheat oven 400 degrees F.
- Coat cookie sheet with cooking spray; set aside.
- Combine sweet potatoes, olive oil, rosemary, salt and pepper in mixing bowl; toss to coat.
- Evenly spread mixture onto prepared pan.
- Bake 35-40 minutes or until lightly browned and roasted; stirring twice.
- Place into serving dish and top with cranberry chevre.
- Garnish with additional rosemary if desired.
- Serve warm and Enjoy!
Roasting vegetables in the oven is a simple process that works well for most root vegetables. Try it with winter squash, any variety of potato, carrots, celery root, onions- mix and match them too! It’s so much fun to create with this simple technique. Then mix up the herbs and garnishments to go on top or don’t any all… it all works!
Roasted Rosemary Sweet Potatoes with Cranberry Chevre is a favorite of mine this time of year~ I hope you love it just as much!
Happy Fit Friday!!
Much Love and Peace~
Nichole and Ruthie