Braised Beef Tri Tips with Chipolino Onions is comfort food at it’s finest!
I’m telling it completely melts in your mouth and well, it should- after the savory way we’re going to slow roast it!
The cooler weather is knocking at our door with the warm fall days and chilly nights but soon enough we will be right into winter and it’s about his time of year I start pulling out those recipes that keep us warm and comfy cozy!
Braising is simply slow roasting in the oven with liquid that covers our ingredients about three quarters of the way. It’s kinda like a hot tub- not all the way submerged so we get a rich roasted flavor but have the moisture that gives us that fall apart in your mouth deliciousness!
You’ve probably seen the little bags of Chipolino Onions at the grocery store in the produce department. They’re so cute and tasty but there’s a trick to them! To easily peel- all you need to do is toss them in boiling water for 1-2 minutes and drain. The skins will slide right off.
Otherwise plan on spending the rest of your life peeling them 🙂
- 1 tri-tips top sirloin, trimmed and cut into sections
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/4 teaspoon celery powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 cup red wine, burgandy
- 8 cups beef broth
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 celery, diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon shallot, minced
- 10-12 chipolino onion, peeled
- 1 sprig rosemary, broken into small pieces
- 1/2 cup tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven 325 degrees.
- In a small bowl combine flour, onion salt, celery and garlic powders; mix and set aside.
- In a large, oven safe skillet or ceramic dutch oven- heat oil to smoke point.
- Lightly dregde tri-tips in flour mixture and sear in hot dutch oven.
- Remove to a holding pan once nicely browned.
- Add carrot, celery, small yellow onion to hot dutch oven; cook 5-6 minutes until caramelized.
- Add chipolino onion, garlic, shallot, rosemary; stir in and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Deglaze pan with red wine and reduce by half, add beef broth, and bring to simmer.
- Add tomato puree, worcestershire sauce, and add tri tips back into the sauce.
- Season with sea salt and pepper to taste.
- Place in oven and cook for 3 hours, covered.
- Stir 2-3 times through the cooking time.
- Once meat is very tender, remove meat and chipolino onion to holding pan; strain sauce.
- Season as needed, thicken with cornstarch slurry if needed.
- Pour sauce over or serve on the side of tri tips and chipolino onions.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 456Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 92mgSodium: 1498mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 4gSugar: 11gProtein: 37g
Braised Beef Tri Tips with Chipolino Onions are a restaurant quality dish that you can make right at home!
Much Love and Peace~