Thee BEST Clam Chowder is everything you ever hoped for in a clam chowder- it’s a winter time favorite around our house!
This Clam Chowder recipe was handed down to me by my Gram~ the same who was the inspiration for my blog. I can’t even begin to tell you how much I love and miss her. This recipe brings beautiful memories of her flooding back, of times when she’d make a big pot of Clam Chowder and all of our extended family would gather at her home to enjoy a bowl together.
Recipes are much more than ratios and combinations of flavors for me… they are memories. They tie me to all the places I’ve lived, the people I’ve loved, and the memories I don’t ever want to forget. Each time I recreate those recipes… I reconnect with the beautiful moments in my life that live on forever in my heart!
- 10 red potatoes (approx 8 C), chopped
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 7 C water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cube butter
- ¾ C flour
- 1 qt half and half
- 1 (6.5oz)can minced clams with juice
- 1½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- In a large stock pot combine vegetables, add water, and bay leaf bring to boil and simmer until tender.
- In a small sauce pan melt butter, slowly whisk in flour, let cook 1 minute, stirring.
- Slowly whisk in half and half, stir until thickened, and returns to boil.
- When vegetables are done (leave remaining water), add white sauce to pot, add clams with juice, salt, and pepper.
Thee BEST Clam Chowder is the “best” in the world to me… for all the beautiful ways it warms my soul and my belly!
Much Love and Peace~