Brown Bag Apple Cinnamon Pie is the BEST apple pie in the whole world!
AND I’m not just saying that either… it’s that long bake time, in a brown paper bag, trapping in all the aromatic flavors; staying all comfy-cozy while it bakes away!
Brown Bag Apple Cinnamon Pie has been adored by our family for more years than I can remember but a long time for sure! One time, I gave some to an elderly neighbor of ours and she started to get teary; she shared with me her memory of the flavor and knew that this fabulous pie she adored as a child was baked in a brown paper bag but the recipe had been lost to her for years. She was SO happy to be reunited with this recipe and be able to bake it in her home once again!
I’m telling you this pie leaves lasting impressions~ you’ve just got to make one for your family and friends!
One more story about the this fabulous pie (just so you’ll get to baking one yourselves) my son Jake text me from school the other day asking for me to bring him some books and things and then his last reply was… and make sure to bring me a slice of apple pie!
It’s just THAT good y’all! You’re family will be fighting over the last piece… just make two and save yourself the headache.
I’m part of an exciting battle today…. Battle of the Pies hosted by Wayfair.com
- 1 cup flour
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ⅓ cup +1 tablespoon butter
- 2-3 tablespoons ice cold water
- 6 cups thinly sliced macintosh or granny smith apples (approx3-4)
- ½ cup + 2tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup flour
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup whole oats
- ½ cup butter (cold)
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine flour and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Cut in butter thoroughly using a pastry cutter or 2 knives.
- Sprinkle water into flour mixture a little at a time until moistened.
- Gather into a ball. Roll out on a lightly floured surface until ⅛" thick.
- Make sure to check that dough is not sticking to work surface; if so lightly dust surface again.
- Lift dough into pie pan making sure to get a good fit, turn excess dough on edges under itself to make a nice firm edge, then shape as desired.
- Mix sugar, flour, spices, and toss lightly with apples.
- Spoon into unbaked pie shell.
- Mix until crumbly using a pastry cutter.
- Sprinkle on top of pie.
- Place pie in a paper sack, fold down edge, crease or I staple it closed.
- Bake for 1 hour and 45 minutes!
- DO NOT PEEK! Bag must be placed on rack in center of the oven, above heating element.
We like to serve our Brown Bag Apple Cinnamon Pie with fresh whipped cream or for an extra special treat, serve it hot with some vanilla bean ice cream and make it ala mode!
Much Love and Peace~