I’m so happy it’s Springtime… it just warms my little heart.
I’ve been thinking about a way to incorporate one of my favorite springtime desserts, Carrot Cake, into a healthier but still SO tasty recipe…
AND Baked Carrot Cake Donuts with Orange Cream Cheese Glaze is what came out of it!
Seriously. These little babies can. not. be. beat! YUMMO.
- 1 C white whole wheat flour
- 1 C all purpose flour
- ¾ C sugar
- ½ C milled flax seed
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 C lowfat buttermilk
- 1 whole egg
- 2 egg whites
- ⅓ C fat free plain greek yogurt
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 2 C finely shredded carrots
- 1 C raisins
- ½ C water
- ¼ C walnuts, chopped
- 2 Tbsp butter, softened
- 4 oz neufchâtel cream cheese
- 2 C powdered sugar
- 1 orange, zested
- 1 orange, juiced
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Coat well a doughnut or muffin pan with cooking spray and reapply for each batch of donuts.
- In a small sauce pan over medium heat, combine raisins and ½ C water, simmer until water is almost gone and raisins are softened.
- In a large mixing bowl combine flours, sugar, flax seed, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt; stir to combine.
- In a small mixing bowl combine buttermilk, eggs, greek yogurt, oil and carrots; whisk to combine.
- Make a well in the center or dry ingredients, pour in wet ingredients; gently fold in wet until 80% combined.
- Add raisins and walnuts; stir to distribute.
- Do not over stir.
- Place batter in a gallon ziplock, zip top and snip bottom corner with scissors.
- Fill each pan ⅔ the way full, piping into each donut form.
- Bake 8 minutes or until firm to touch.
- Let rest in pan 2-3 minutes, turn out to cool on rack.
- Repeat with additional batter.
- Once cool drizzle with glaze
- Whip butter and cream cheese until smooth.
- Add 1 C powdered sugar, add zest and juice, add remaining powdered sugar, mix until smooth.
- Drizzle or spread glaze over cooled donuts.
You’re to be thrilled with these Baked Carrot Cake Donuts with Orange Cream Cheese Glaze!
Don’t worry if you don’t have a donut form pan… you can make them in a regular old muffin tin pan too.